GFI Software

Welcome to the GFI Software community forum! For support please open a ticket from https://support.gfi.com.

Home » GFI User Forums » Kerio Connect » Alias is redirecting instead of forwarding (An email to an alias is being redirected instead of forwarded - message therefore rejected because of missing SPF record)
Alias is redirecting instead of forwarding [message #152317] Thu, 28 July 2022 10:38 Go to next message
phil68 is currently offline  phil68
I have the following problem:

If I send an email from "xxx@xyz.com" (Kerio Connect but probably doesn't matter what product) to an adress in domain abc.com (on a Kerio Connect 9.4.1) that is an alias, supposed to forward to an external adress "abc<_at_>def.com" the message is being rejected from the target server:

554 5.7.1 <abc@def.com>: Recipient address rejected: Rejected by SPF: <IP of MX of abc.com> is not a designated mailserver for xxx<_at_>xyz.com

For sure there is no SPF for xyz.com <_at_> the <IP of MX of abc.com>. So it seems that Kerio is redirecting the mail keeping the original sender which results in this rejection. If I check the logs of "abc.com" I can see a lot of rejections because of this.

Any idea how to fix this or is it a bug?
Re: Alias is redirecting instead of forwarding [message #152321 is a reply to message #152317] Thu, 28 July 2022 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EduardoPeters is currently offline  EduardoPeters
Are you using a server-side rule to forward this (Either in the Incoming section of Message Filters or in the user's Forwarding tab inside the Webadmin UI)?

If so, a quick solution would likely be to just set up the forwarding from within the user's own mailbox (as a Sieve filter rule).

If that doesn't work, you could probably remove the existing forwarding and create an Incoming rule that rewrites the headers of the incoming email to a domain that would work.
Re: Alias is redirecting instead of forwarding [message #152330 is a reply to message #152321] Sat, 30 July 2022 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
phil68 is currently offline  phil68
Thanks for your answering - it is a standard alias address as it can be defined in the interface. I've quite a lot of these on different servers mainly for status messages being forwarded to me - this works fine as long as the original message ist sent from the same domain as the alias is in.

From my understanding a forwarded email should be seen by the receiving server as sent from the domain that was originally addressed in the first email, so it will pass the SPF check. Otherwise aliases to external addresses won't work reliably for mails sent from external domains.

There is no mailbox existing because that would require a license.... I'm concerned that this behaviour will lead to more such problems since mail servers nowadays do heavily check SPF records so this will happen a lot.
I'll see if I can do something about it by creating rules etc.
Re: Alias is redirecting instead of forwarding [message #152354 is a reply to message #152330] Wed, 03 August 2022 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatamorg84 is currently offline  fatamorg84
had a similar problem
Re: Alias is redirecting instead of forwarding [message #152365 is a reply to message #152317] Wed, 03 August 2022 14:47 Go to previous message
freakinvibe is currently offline  freakinvibe
I think this is working as designed. The primary use for Aliases is to bounce emails to a generic address like "webmaster@mydomain.tld" to your personal "my.name<_at_>mydomain.tld", so you do not have to check the webmaster mailbox all the time.

I don't think it really works to use aliases to bounce emails to a domain you do not own, because (as you say correctly), SPF will not allow that.

If you want to have a mail auto-forwarded, you will have to create an account (which costs a license) and then configure it to forward the mail.

Dexion Services AG - IT Support Services in Basel, Switzerland
https://dexionag.ch
Previous Topic: Can't block tld domain using custom rules spam filter
Next Topic: Option mail forward + mail redirect
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 26 08:19:20 CEST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02475 seconds