GFI Software

Welcome to the GFI Software community forum! For support please open a ticket from https://support.gfi.com.

Home » GFI User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migration issue, need advise
Migration issue, need advise [message #114706] Mon, 07 July 2014 14:55 Go to next message
sjwilliams is currently offline  sjwilliams
Here is the situation; we have Kerio COnnect running on a Widnows XP machine. There were changes made to the mail store by a temp/fill in while I was away for military duty. Apparently, the hardware on the original server failed and the fill-in moved everything to a new system. When he did this, he put the mailstore on a RAID 0 array. One of those disks has developed a few bad sectors.

We are running an IMAP server and we have a TON of emails, 300GB+. A full back up, because of the size and the bad sectors, takes a couple of days to complete.

I would like, and have tried, to virtualize Connect onto an ESXi server. I tried using the VMware vCenter Stand-alone Client to move it, and it worked, kinda. The problem that I encountered is that every mailbox index gets corrupted. After moving the performance is EXTREMELY slow. I mean to the point of emails taking greater than 2 days to be recieved, same with sending.

SO, My questions is, how can I move an existing Kerio COnnect server, with a huge mail store, to a VM?

Any suggestions?
Re: Migration issue, need advise [message #114710 is a reply to message #114706] Mon, 07 July 2014 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My IT Indy is currently offline  My IT Indy
rsync should work. There is a tool out there, Emailphoenix that should work too

**full disclosure we are partners for emailphoenix**

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
Re: Migration issue, need advise [message #114713 is a reply to message #114710] Mon, 07 July 2014 21:28 Go to previous message
Machete
I recently migrated - not to a VM, but new hardware and for the mailstore, simply running a differential bkup after a full bkup seemed to work well for me. Maybe the process of moving to a VM is much different than just new hardware but here are the basic steps that worked for me:

1 - On old hardware, ran differential bkup. (Assuming you already have a full backup in place)
2 - Moved full backup and the differential to a temporary drive.
3 - Moved Archive directory to temporary drive.
4 - On new hardware, installed Kerio Connect (same version as old machine)
5 - Connected temporary drive and then used the KB article to restore the mailstore to the new installation.

If you're changing platforms (ie - XP to Linux I think you need to get a new license key from Kerio as well.)
Previous Topic: retrieving all users addresses belonging to a group using a group option ?
Next Topic: quota message delays
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Mar 26 05:24:05 CEST 2023

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04318 seconds