20.2 install fails

varuzh

• Total Posts : 5
20.2 install fails Sunday, January 29, 2017 2:09 AM (permalink)
So this software never ceases to let me down, 9 out 10 times these upgrades lead to a disaster. Today I tried to update to version 20.2. My existing version is 20.1 and has been running fine for a while now. I start the installation and everything proceeds just fine up until about 95% complete. Then the dreaded rolling back install appears I get an installation failed check error logs.  I check the log which is longer than the dead sea scrolls and it really leads to nowhere.  This would not be be such a big deal except that it has completely trashed my existing installation of 20.1.  The services are in some weird state and they cannot be started, restarting the server does not help. So I had to uninstall mail essentials which took all of 3 seconds. Which makes me wonder why and that it's not normal for it to uninstall this fast. 
I install 20.1 and luckily it installs without any errors.  The question is, is there something wrong with this installer?  I tried calling GFI but of course it's Saturday and they're closed. Installing this update during the week is not really an option, I can't go through multiple server reboots in the middle of the day. I'm running on server 2008 and exchange 2010.  Why can't GFI make software that installs properly?

clicker666

• Total Posts : 30
    Re:20.2 install fails Monday, January 30, 2017 5:52 PM (permalink)
    I feel your pain.  I've yet to have a smooth version upgrade, migration, anything.  Usually I end up batting emails back and forth with GFI for a week or two and we end up just nuking the whole install and starting fresh.  The user instructions rarely reflect what comes up on the screen.

This time I plan on backing up my settings, doing the update, and if it doesn't work just nuke and restart right away, but I'm in no rush to apply the update.

varuzh

Re:20.2 install fails Monday, January 30, 2017 7:11 PM (permalink)
      I don't want to start over again, I did that with version 20 and it took nearly 2 hours with multiple server reboots. My boss was not happy and recommended I do this kind of stuff on the weekend. No shit Sherlock! But I needed tech support so I had to call during the week.  If blowing this thing up and starting over is the only way to make it work I am not going to stay with Mail Essentials.  GFI needs to make their software upgrade, it's ridiculous that I have to do a fresh install for every update.

SwissMiss

• Total Posts : 30
        Re:20.2 install fails Monday, January 30, 2017 10:38 PM (permalink)
        I haven't installed mine and it looks like other people have issues upgrading here  http://forums.gfi.com/tm....e=true&m=900822256 as per one of GFI support who monitors this thread, there is an update to the update!

Danm

• Total Posts : 122
          Re:20.2 install fails Monday, January 30, 2017 11:04 PM (permalink)
          In addition to the issues you mentioned, my concern is why isn't there 24/7 technical support?   I'm in your shoes and need to do upgrades on  the weekends.  GFI with all your expansion why no 24/7 support??

CeeTee

• Total Posts : 19
            Re:20.2 install fails Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:09 AM (permalink)
            Upgrading from 20.1 to 20.2 lost my license key, and my administrator's email address - I suspect UAC may have been the cause.
            Even once those issues were fixed it was still troublesome, and corrupting A/V engines, so I resorted to uninstalling 20.2 via the windows control-panel Programs feature, and then re-installing 20.2 and then restarting all the GFI services. No reboots were required, and no config settings were lost in the process.
            After that, it was basically stable, but v20.2 does still seem to require a patch to fix the middle-queue issue, which may need a support call to obtain, but at least it seems to self-clear any accumulated mess once installed.

varuzh

Re:20.2 install fails Wednesday, February 01, 2017 8:40 PM (permalink)
              Anybody from GFI care to chime in?

CeeTee

• Total Posts : 19
                Re:20.2 install fails Wednesday, February 01, 2017 10:28 PM (permalink)
                FWIW - I did the re-install of 20.2 with the advice of Tech-Support, and the guidance is that if you uninstall MailEssentials using the 'Programs & Features' applet in the Windows Control Panel (as you would for any standard Windows application) then it does not remove the configuration databases, so that when you re-install ME it will be using the same config prior to uninstalling. This makes the process fairly quick & painless.

mps_surcouf

• Total Posts : 89
                  Re:20.2 install fails Friday, February 03, 2017 12:37 AM (permalink)
                  Just recovering from a failed upgrade to 20.2
                  Mail flow down for a few hours.

My advice to anyone else is do clean install on a VM and make sure that works.
                  Switch the mail flow through this before attempting a live upgrade.

Too many bad stories here.

varuzh

Re:20.2 install fails Friday, February 03, 2017 6:42 PM (permalink)
                    I'm sure that's fine for people that want to grow through hours of virtualization and experimenting, but that shouldn't our job.  It might behoove GFI to write software that can be installed without having to nuke it through through the registry. I am not going to through the trouble of beta testing for GFI, this a production server that needs to be up and running. I can't afford to have no mail flow during the week. And I did not uninstall mail essentials from the programs and features until I realized that GFI had screwed the prior version. My next step is to get spam titan and dump mail essentials.

mps_surcouf

• Total Posts : 89
                      Re:20.2 install fails Tuesday, February 07, 2017 7:46 PM (permalink)
                      Totally agree we shouldn't have to do any of that.
                      But probably for any mail gateway its a good idea to have an alternative flow path as a backup if you have the resources.
                      My advice is don't upgrade to 20.2.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages