dhawkins
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Failing Updates - Friday, February 10, 2017 8:16 PM
mps_surcouf

@JSW

What is your failure message.  I may have a solution

Whats the solution?

GFI MailEssentials - Failed to check for Anti-Phishing updates.

The automatic Anti-Phishing updates have failed 3 consecutive times in the last 2 minutes.

If a proxy server is required to access the internet, please configure the proxy server in the Updates tab of the General Settings. Information on which ports are required for GFI MailEssentials updates can be found in the GFI Knowledge Base article:

Date: 2/10/2017 2:07:35 PM
Server: <SERVERNAME>
Error details: The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response

mps_surcouf
  • Total Posts : 89
Re:Failing Updates - Sunday, February 12, 2017 3:22 PM
Sorry that error message is Not related to the fix I had.

The fix I had was for different message about a revocation check which was due to winhttp 32. Bit config. Not being set.

I am pretty sure there is nothing we can do.

Support seems to be slow and pretty unhelpful these days.

I often get no response when providing information.

You are pretty much on your own with this product.

JSW
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Failing Updates - Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:49 AM
As I have just advised GFI, I regret to advise in the past week the problem of losing emails has SIGNIFICANTLY escalated.  This has begun to heavily impact our business as consultants have missed quite a number of urgent vacancy, timesheet, and other emails which have directly resulted in us failing to do work for our clients.

As this has been ongoing for three months now, albeit now much much much much worse in the past week, I have no choice but to disable all updating in GFI (to hopefully stop the issue happening for now) and begin evaluating replacement products.  For now we will be pushing through all the various updates manually each morning and then keeping an eye on the quarantine so we can push through any failed emails straight away, this way we have control over the situation.

GFI is meant to be protecting our business, not negatively impacting it - and in recent days the impact has been significant and is now costing us time in keeping on top of it.

Dubindee
  • Total Posts : 27
Re:Failing Updates - Wednesday, February 22, 2017 10:27 AM
And again, failing updates ....

JSW
Re:Failing Updates - Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:05 AM
GFI are adamant the issue is fixed now, though being very vauge about what they have done or if they did anything at all - also suggesting if problems persist they need to remote in because it is a local issue with us, so I worry this demonstrates they still have no idea how many customers this impacted and truly believe that each of us are the only ones having the problem.

So I waited another week first, as we suffered significant impact from the loss of emails from many of the failures that occurred, and have now turned on all the engines to update automatically again.  Has been 24 hours so far and multiple updates have occurred without issue.

Continuing to watch it very closely all day every day for at least a week or two, as we all know it previously would work for days and then spotaniously start failing everything on us... I cannot take any more risk of further impact to business.

Truly hoping its good now - my doubt is purely because of the GFI support team either intentionally or unintentionally giving the impression they have no idea what the problem is/was which continues to make me question future use of this product unfortunately.

Most especially with the backscatter spams that are becoming such an immense issue these days - there is an obvious fix for this that I suggested to GFI a couple years ago, but they dismissed it.  Through researching replacement products in recent weeks I have now found other products CAN deal with backscatter and do so in a similar way to my proposal to GFI.  Disappointing, off-topic yet related to my loss in confidence with GFI which is a shame given some of its other tremendous advantages which are the very reason I have deployed it at many organisations over the past 17 years.

Charlie IT
  • Total Posts : 367
Re:Failing Updates - Friday, March 17, 2017 3:35 PM
Failed to download BitDefender Anti-Virus update files.

Date: 3/17/2017 10:33:31 AM
Server: 
Error details: Status: 200 ContentType: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

Failed to update local VIPRE Anti-Virus engine files
Date: 3/17/2017 11:00:57 AM
Server: 
Error details: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

Still failing 12:18pm
   bitdefender now working
BitDefender AntiVirus 3/17/2017 2:38:54 PM No updates currently in progress (last update succeeded)
Vipre now working
VIPRE AntiVirus 3/17/2017 3:04:30 PM No updates currently in progress (last update succeeded) all working now no change at my end.

JWS I'm in the same boat as you.
our renewal is next month, look for something else.

<message edited by Charlie IT on Friday, March 17, 2017 8:10 PM>

Danm
  • Total Posts : 122
Re:Failing Updates - Friday, March 17, 2017 8:51 PM
Our Vipre, Bitdefender and Anti-phishing have started failing over the past couple hours as well.

joergriether
Re:Failing Updates - Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:48 AM
Wow, you are right. I just wrote a mail to some GFI people I know to let them know about this and to hoepfully get this fixed asap.

DPaech
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Failing Updates - Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:02 AM
Same here. Vipre, Bitdefender, and anti-phishing are failing since a couple of hours.

Charlie IT
  • Total Posts : 367
Re:Failing Updates - Saturday, March 18, 2017 1:48 PM
seeing the same all last night
I am set to update every two hours
working now
VIPRE AntiVirus 3/18/2017 9:06:46 AM No updates currently in progress (last update succeeded)
BitDefender AntiVirus 3/18/2017 9:07:14 AM No updates currently in progress (last update succeeded)  

VIPRE AntiVirus 3/18/2017 11:08:12 AM  
No updates currently in progress (last update succeeded)  

BitDefender AntiVirus 3/18/2017 11:08:58 AM No updates currently in progress (last update succeeded)  
<message edited by Charlie IT on Saturday, March 18, 2017 4:10 PM>

Dubindee
Re:Failing Updates - Monday, March 20, 2017 9:49 AM
Same here, again, when will GFI fix this serious issue? My Customer is more then ****** about his failing mail system and my costs ...  
<message edited by Dubindee on Monday, March 20, 2017 9:56 AM>

flyok
  • Total Posts : 75
Re:Failing Updates - Monday, March 20, 2017 11:24 AM
Neverending story

KGB
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:Failing Updates - Monday, March 20, 2017 9:44 PM
This is still happening for us too. plus it randomly hangs the AV Scan engine so all mail flow stops until that service gets restarted. worst part is that when this happens during the day we also get SubmitFail on any emails sent out so we have to ask everyone in the company to resend their Emails when we notice that the mail flow has stopped. 

tim.frodermann
  • Total Posts : 19
Re:Failing Updates - Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:02 AM
KGB

worst part is that when this happens during the day we also get SubmitFail on any emails sent out so we have to ask everyone in the company to resend their Emails when we notice that the mail flow has stopped. 

Normally, the mails should be put in the FailedMails Folder and can be replayed:
http://www.gfi.com/support/products/KBID003263

I have scripts on every server nowwadays to automatize this. Sad!

ianb
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Failing Updates - Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:21 PM

I would like to clarify the cause of the outage on Updates that occurred between 17th and 18th March 2017.

A locked file resulted in our inability to serve updates during the mentioned hours. Our automatic monitoring was also effected hence we were not alerted on the situation. Since then we have made sure this does not happen again.

Update issues have started last December when most of our update infrastructure was migrated to AWS. This was done solely to have better scale and serve our customers better. However migrating our existing infrastructure did not perform well in AWS. 

For this reason we are rebuilding the server side components to make sure we are truly serving our customers as expected. We expect such components to be live in the coming weeks following further testing by our QA teams.

Ian Bugeja
GFI Software
Blog-Twitter-YouTube-Facebook

KGB
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:Failing Updates - Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:30 PM
all of the External emails end up in the FailedMails folder, but anything internal that is scanned with the information store scan doesn't go there.
I just noticed that any of the internal emails actually end up in the quarantine. so in relieved to find that i don't have to email the whole company and tell them to send their emails again.

tim.frodermann

Normally, the mails should be put in the FailedMails Folder and can be replayed:
http://www.gfi.com/support/products/KBID003263

I have scripts on every server nowwadays to automatize this. Sad!

Dubindee
Re:Failing Updates - Friday, March 24, 2017 11:37 AM
GFI I am gettin' pretty ****** Had Updates deactivated at my customer for the last days, reactivated minutes ago and allready got the first VIPRE Failing message (HRESULT E_FAIL-Error) .

SOLVE IT ASAP!

Dubindee
Re:Failing Updates - Wednesday, April 05, 2017 3:26 PM
And again vipre failing .... manual update done last week ... no words anymore ...

satho
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Failing Updates - Thursday, April 06, 2017 9:30 AM
Hi there,
I also have the problem with regular failing scanengines due to failed updates.
Is there a way to monitor the scanengines or their updatestatus remote? I would like to at least know when there is a problem and my customers don't get any mails.
Are there Eventlogs or status-xmls or logfiles that are suitable for remote monitoring?

guenni
  • Total Posts : 16
Re:Failing Updates - Friday, April 07, 2017 7:22 AM
And again 
Anti-Phishing and Vipre failing!

Dubindee
Re:Failing Updates - Friday, April 07, 2017 9:53 AM
And Kaspersky .... 

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 81 of 81