WCCP support for GFI WebMonitor

CeeTee

• Total Posts : 19
WCCP support for GFI WebMonitor Friday, November 27, 2015 6:28 AM (permalink)
I am looking at a number of alternatives for managing web access in our company, and so was looking for a solution that can provide transparent web filtering and caching that users can't bypass with ease, and doesn't require reconfiguring of the network to prevent that from happening.

Like many companies, we have Cisco ASA firewalls on the perimeter of both the DMZ and internal networks, with complex CISCO router configurations that can't be screwed about with, or at least not without starting a minor war in the department.

Obviously, WCCP is an attractive solution for a CISCO shop... as it is essentially transparent to everything other than the ASA, as the network (ASA excepted) is unaware of it, so just requires some tweaks of the ASA to route all web traffic through the associated cache/filter server.

Competing products such as Barracuda, have long offered WCCP support, but Webmonitor still appears not to.

Is there a technical reason for this?  Is it planned for the future?

CeeTee

Re:WCCP support for GFI WebMonitor Monday, December 14, 2015 2:14 AM (permalink)
    Well... by the sound of crickets, I'm guessing that either the answer is NO or these forums are not read by GFI.
    I like GFI products, but am getting pushed to go with either Barracuda or Ironport (ugh!) because of the ability to use WCCP with our Cisco-ASAs and make the Cache/Filter process transparent.

Zolll

• Total Posts : 452
      Re:WCCP support for GFI WebMonitor Thursday, January 28, 2016 4:28 PM (permalink)
      I am sorry, but WebMonitor does not offer currently support for WCCP. We consider it as a feature request, but for now I don't know when the feature can be implemented.
      Please also note that WebMonitor 10 edition already offers transparent proxy capabilities, maybe that could suit your needs.

CeeTee

Re:WCCP support for GFI WebMonitor Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:01 PM (permalink)
        Thanks - I actually got some feedback on this from other areas of GFI that there are no plans for WCCP for at least the next 2 versions of Web Monitor.
        This is disappointing, and places Web Monitor at a distinct disadvantage compared to the competition.
        Barracuda, Blue-Coat, WebSense and IronPort (obviously) all support WCCP2 implementation mode.
        GFI's "Transparent Mode" is not even remotely similar, and doesn't provide either the capability (e.g. multi-protocol) or flexibility that WCCP2 offers.
        FWIW: https://techlib.barracuda.com/BWF/WCCPDeployment6
        Unfortunately, without WCCP support, I can't recommend trying WebMonitor to my clients who already have existing Cisco Router-Firewall infrastructure.

Zolll

• Total Posts : 452
          Re:WCCP support for GFI WebMonitor Monday, February 01, 2016 4:02 PM (permalink)
          Thank you for your detailed feedback. We will definitely consider extending WebMonitor's capabilities for future versions, such as with WCCP support.

CeeTee

Re:WCCP support for GFI WebMonitor Thursday, December 15, 2016 3:18 AM (permalink)
            Just revisiting this thread because we are now reviewing our Web-Filtering options, due to existing systems coming up for lease replacement and/or extension next year.

We require WCCP2 support, so we can implement a redundant pair of filter-cache servers with our existing Cisco-ASA perimeter firewalls, and provide transparent filtering that does not require modifying either client or gateway configurations, and which can't be circumvented by recalcitrant or malicious users. - i.e. LAN clients can only see the Cisco-ASA gateway, but the gateway knows there is a filter connected via WCCP2 that must be negotiated.

All of the major players (other than GFI) currently support WCCP2 with their Web-Filtering solutions.

Is WCCP2 anywhere on the roadmap for WebMonitor?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message