Languard supported updates vs. Microsoft high priority updates

ntetech

• Total Posts : 49
Languard supported updates vs. Microsoft high priority updates Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:10 AM (permalink)
Hi all,

I notice that some Microsoft "High Priority" updates not supported by Languard.

For example, this month I've patched my Win XP PC with Languard, however running the Microsoft scan from update.microsoft.com finds four updates listed as "High Priority".

The four additional updates recommended by MS relate to KB982168, KB955759, KB973687 and KB983486. None of these are listed in Languard's supported update page at http://www.gfi.com/lannetscan/msfullreport.htm

Checking the MS KB articles, it looks like the four updates not supported by Languard are not tagged as "security updates" although one of them (KB955759) prevents a web-based attacker from taking control of your system.

Question is: What do you all do about these additional High Priority updates? Do you ignore them and rely on Languard, or use some other mechanism to install them?

In your opinion, should Languard extend patch support to these additional High Priority updates?

Thanks

JimS

• Total Posts : 66
    RE: Languard supported updates vs. Microsoft high priority updates Wednesday, June 09, 2010 2:22 PM (permalink)
    ntetech,

Patches like these that are not supported for detection can still be installed using the Custom Software Installation feature. When adding the patches to be installed to the interface you can choose the "switches normally used for Microsoft Patches" option.
    Jim Skopek
    GFI Software

ntetech

• Total Posts : 49
      RE: Languard supported updates vs. Microsoft high priority updates Wednesday, June 09, 2010 5:56 PM (permalink)
      Thanks for the pointer Jim.

Is it safe to say that all necessary patches are applied by Languard? Do I never have to worry about additional "High Priority" updates?

mbrunmeier

• Total Posts : 88
        RE: Languard supported updates vs. Microsoft high priority updates Monday, June 14, 2010 9:04 PM (permalink)
        ntetech,

I think it would be fair to say that you can never stop worrying about updates but they would have a lower priority on the scale of security.
        Regards,
        Matthew
        GFI Software - www.gfi.com

ethernet

• Total Posts : 7
          RE: Languard supported updates vs. Microsoft high priority updates Monday, June 21, 2010 10:06 PM (permalink)
          On a WinXP Pro system, I noted these high priority updates listed by Microsoft Update were not found by LanGuard: KB982168, KB961118, KB963707, KB983503.  These don't appear to security updates of much significance, but I have been wondering about this.  One of multiple reasons I purchased LanGuard was to get away from running Windows update on individual computers, but should I still be running Windows Update or WSUS *in addition to* LanGuard?  Apparently that is needed to cover the non-security updates:

http://forums.gfi.com/m_900787198/mpage_1/key_WSUS%2clanguard/tm.htm#900787212
          http://forums.gfi.com/m_900781981/mpage_1/key_WSUS%2clanguard/tm.htm#900781981

I would prefer if one program did everything.  The reverse question was here http://kbase.gfi.com/showarticle.asp?id=KBID001602 , but that seems outdated.

ernestbyrd

• Total Posts : 442
            RE: Languard supported updates vs. Microsoft high priority updates Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:20 PM (permalink)
            It is recommended to still use WSUS, if available, with GFI Languard for full Microsoft patching.

GFI Languard handles security updates only, and we make use of OVAL and CVE to obtain this information for remediation of patches.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message