Archiving performance for large journal

Dan Friesen

• Total Posts : 1
Archiving performance for large journal Thursday, March 09, 2017 3:29 PM (permalink)
We've got an Exchange 2010 server that has been journaling messages for several years into a single mailbox. I've installed and configured Archiver to archive these messages so that we can clean up this mailbox in preparation for an Exchange upgrade. The long term strategy is to keep mail history in Archiver so that we can run reports and maintain compliance and retention requirements.

I initially set Archiver up with an EWS connection to the journal mailbox but performance was extremely slow, about 1 message per minute. With 1.1 million messages to archive, it's clear that this would take an eternity. I decided to try IMAP instead. We're not using IMAP in our environment, so I set the service up and started it. I was very happy to see that performance was much better, and Archiver had imported 3700 messages rather quickly.

I checked on the import progress this morning and found that the process seems to have stalled a couple of times overnight for about 5 hours each time. I checked event logs on the Exchange server and see that Archiver exceeded 16 concurrent connections at one point. I also saw some IMAP service events related to corrupted UIDs being fixed in the journal mailbox. All of these events seem to coincide with the import process stalling.

With so many messages, I wouldn't be surprised if there will be some corrupt entries, or items which need to have UIDs generated, and if Archiver is pushing the Exchange server beyond its limits, I'm sure that some trouble is to be expected. I don't see any performance issues with Exchange. CPU usage is very light and disk I/O is within acceptable limits.

I'm not worried if the archiving process takes 2 weeks or a bit longer, so I'm just wondering if there is a way to slow GFI archiver down a little so that we get a nice, steady stream of messages imported until the process can catch up.

We're running Version 12.1 Build 20161215 of GFI Archiver.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message